- The Uswim program was adapted from one of the world’s most innovative and successful Swim Schools – Aquatic Achievers – founded by Neil Douglas, who began teaching swimming 43 years ago.
- In 2017 the company operated 5 private indoor heated pools, teaching over 9000 children per week.
- 2007 saw Ben Douglas and colleagues at Aquatic Achievers begin making online video tutorials for parents to teach their own children.
- The site and program has been continually improved over this period through testing, feedback and focus groups, resulting in a highly unique step-by-step approach to teaching swimming which can be learned by anyone.
- The specific ‘swimming’ goal of the program is for all students to swim 20 meters Freestyle (Front Crawl in some countries) with correct and efficient breathing technique.
About the Founder
Uswim is operated by its founder – Ben Douglas, who;
- Was born in Rockhampton, Australia.
- Studied History in Missouri and Hawaii, and first taught swimming to special needs adults at the Janet Pomeroy center in San Francisco.
- Returned to Australia in 2006 and founded Uswim the following year.
- Became the manager of the Gumdale pool in 2008 and the CEO of Aquatic Achievers in 2011.
- Resigned in 2017 after an enjoyable 12–month transition to a new General Manager.
In 2018 Ben’s family successfully sold Aquatic Achievers to a reputable private equity firm. He decided to focus on creating a financially sustainable resource which can reach people and cultures around the world who don’t have access to a quality swim program.
Ben is based in Da Nang (Vietnam) and Brisbane (Australia).